Monday, July 12, 2010

Geoducking

I went on my first geoduck (pronounced 'gooey duck') hunt yesterday with Sarah and Jess. It was AWESOME! It was a great chance to find geoducks because of the -3.0 tide at Fort Flagler.

We left mad early in the morning, around 5:45am after staying up till midnight preparing for the trip. For our caisson we had to buy a metal trash can and then figure out how to cut out the bottom without any kind of hack saw...a hammer and chisel was our idea, haha. It actually worked great! We started in Sarah's back yard around 10pm and then realized that we might get a noise complaint banging on a trash can with a hammer and chisel so we brought everything out to Mag Park to do the cutting. Sarah and Jess held the trash can as I banged on the trash can with the hammer and chisel with our only light from the headlights on Jess's car. It took a while but we finally cut the bottom out!

We decided to just drive around instead of take the ferry because we could actually make it there faster, for less money, and we could start digging sooner. The tide would be fully out at 10 am and we make it at 9am which gave us time to set up...then off to hunting. I'll let pictures do the talking of our geoduck hunting adventures :)


After geoducking we had lunch and decided we wanted to make s'mores so we bought all the stuff including these giant marshmallows and made them!

After lunch we saw this cool fort and Sarah and I went to go take pictures of the place. Most of it was pretty boring until we found a tunnel that at the deepest point was pitch black and had to use Sarah's flash on her camera to make it through...the flash made it very horror film like...expecting something to pop out in between flashes.                                                                                             


After we finished here we found Sarah's grandparent's old cabin where she has a ton of memories. From the pictures I have seen before everything looked pretty close to the same besides the drive in and Sarah went around taking pictures of everything for her grandma. Good thing the current owners weren't there...we were totally trespassing, haha. 

We then headed home from there, hitting traffic, going in circles because of my GPS and then finally making it back at about 8pm. A nice long day of fun...hopefully we do it again soon!

Lastly I would like to point out that I am slowly becoming more and more a seattlelite...I had Starbucks twice in one day :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Blair, I saw you commented on Ryan's post. I love reading people's blogs, so I thought I'd drop by and see how life in Seattle is treating you. Hope all is well! :) - Kira

    ReplyDelete