Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Downhill Mountain Biking Experience

Today I went down to Crystal Mountain, right next to Mt Rainier, to go downhill mountain biking. I had never done it before so I was a little nervous but really excited. The stupid thing about Crystal Mountain is that you aren't allowed to take the bikes with you on the ski lift so you have to hike 2 hours up the mountain to get to the top for only 30 minutes down the mountain. Our calves were burning like crazy when we got to the top so we took a little break then went down. Two minutes in we were going through this really loose, rocky section and I got a pinch flat...sucked but changed it and off we were again. The next 28 minutes was some of the most fun I have ever had on my mountain bike. There were a couple of slow techy sections in the beginning and then a super fast section in the middle, drifting around every turn, hitting little jumps, dodging roots....everything you can think of. The middle section was by far the best part. Next was a couple more techy sections, a really dusty party where I couldn't see the trail in front of me because of my friends, and then the last part which was just a wide open down hill where I probably hit about 30 mph. I almost ate it bad when I hit a rock at the beginning of that last section but I caught myself just in time. Below are some pictures of the trip.

Climbing the mountain (This is a really steep section)
Taking a breather...Chris showing off his new gloves
Another breather
Yet another
Chris found the keys to...
This bulldozer
The Top
View of the beginning of the trail down the side of the mountain
Right before we head down...that should be Mt Rainier behind me
Speeding down the mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment