Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Road Trip to Seattle (Day 3)

I woke up crazy early because of the sun at around 5am. I got up and had my devotions sitting on the rocks by the river then packed up my tent and off I went. This was one of my longest days so I wanted to get an early start, ended up leaving around 6am. The weather was good and the traffic was little to nothing that early in the morning. The plan was to make it to Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, SD.

I was only in Iowa for another 2 hours before I got to Minnesota.

I was only in Minnesota for a little less than 2 hours but I really liked what I saw. Didn't have anything on the list for this state but I did have a geocache about halfway through. This one gave be a lot of trouble. I ended up looking for about 20 minutes and couldn't find it. I ended up calling my dad to see if he could find any hints that I missed for the cache but he could find anything so I ended up just asking him to read off the coordinates to another cache nearby. The cache ended up taking me in between fields down roads with no speed limits! No cars on the roads, just me, the gas pedal and open roads :) I found this geocache too so this detour was totally worth it.

Next state...South Dakota, all 510 miles of it.

First stop in the state was Sioux Falls. The Iron Lung and Sioux Fall Sculpture Walk were the next things on the list.
I voted for the sculpture pictured above. It was a lot of fun looking at all the sculptures, they were all pretty sweet.

The next stop was something that I've wanted to see ever since I saw a History Channel show on it.
And yes, it is made of real corn. The area was real ghetto though so I didn't stay long because I was worried about my bikes on the back of the car.

The rest of the drive consisted of tons of pictures because the scenery was amazing, huge rolling hills, bad lands in the distance and one tree every 5 miles.

I finally made it to Ellsworth Lodging around 7:30pm and I was wiped out. Basically ate, took some pictures, then went to bed. Oh...and I took a really, really long shower felt awesome after not showering the night before and driving 12 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Great Pics! Are you going to explore the Black Hills? There are a lot of great hiking trails, camping and of course Mount Rushmore!

    Kristine Young
    Office of Tourism
    travelsd.com

    ReplyDelete